We are seeking to appoint an administrator for eight hours each week to manage the church office, currently based in The Rectory, Thakeham. The successful applicant will support the Priest-in-Charge – Rev. Sara-Jane Stevens – by undertaking administrative tasks relating to her role. Rev. Sara-Jane has two churches in her care. The parishes of Thakeham and Sullington are situated close to Storrington in idyllic, rural settings, about three miles apart.
1. Management of Rev. Sara-Jane’s diary. This will involve daily liaison with Sara-Jane to ensure the smooth running of both parishes
2. Ensuring effective communication between all relevant parties. This particularly means talking to churchwardens, treasurers, PCC members, funeral directors, crematorium staff and diocesan staff as necessary. Sara-Jane’s diary of appointments needs to be shared, where appropriate, to ensure that church business and other activities are programmed
3. Completing returns required by the diocese and others. This will involve completing forms and maintaining records with regard to baptisms, weddings, funerals, annual data on attendance, services etc on an ad hoc, quarterly and annual basis
4. Preparing and printing service sheets, parish newsletter and other publications
6. Dealing with emails, correspondence, phone calls and visitors
Applicants should have good IT skills, including Word and Excel. The successful candidate should have good communication and organisational skills, be adaptable and have a pleasant and co-operative personality. It would be helpful if candidates have an understanding of parish life and an appreciation of our Christian ethos.
This position is subject to a DBS disclosure.
A car driver is preferred. This is not essential but there is no public transport into The Street, Thakeham and on occasion, it may be useful to drive to the churches.
Place of work – The Parish Office, The Rectory, The Street, Thakeham RH20 3EP
Hours – 8 hours per week – 2 hours each morning, Monday – Thursday
Salary – £8.25 per hour – £3432 p.a., including four weeks paid annual leave (pro rata)
Contract – self-employed or PAYE (to be discussed). There will be an initial 3-month probationary period. The contract will be fixed for one year, terminating on 31 August 2020, renewable subject to funding
Dates Closing date for applications: Friday 14 June 2019
Interviews: Monday 1 July 2019
Start date: Monday 2 September 2019, subject to references
Please email your CV and a covering letter, including the names and addresses of two referees, to Mr John Williams: firstname.lastname@example.org