We are looking for an Administrator to manage the church office for St Mary’s church Thakeham, and St Mary’s church Sullington. The two rural churches are close to Storrington, set about three miles apart. The successful applicant will support Rev. Sara-Jane Stevens by undertaking administrative tasks relating to her role.
Core activities of the job:
- Management of Diary. This will involve daily liaison with Sara-Jane, to ensure smooth running and integration of both parishes.
- Ensuring effective communication between all relevant parties. This particularly means talking to the churchwardens, treasurers, PCC members, funeral directors, crematorium staff and diocesan staff as necessary. Sara-Jane’s diary appts need to be shared with the appropriate people to ensure that church business and other activities are properly programmed.
- Completing the Returns to the Diocese – this involves filling out various forms with regard to baptisms, weddings, funerals, annual service and congregational data etc, on an ad hoc, quarterly and annual basis.
- Printing of service sheets, parish news-letters etc.
- Dealing with emails, phone calls and visitors
Applicants should have good IT skills, including Word and Excel. The successful candidate should have good communication and organisational skills, be adaptable, happy to work with the general public and have a pleasant and co-operative manner. Candidates should have sympathy for the Christian ethos. This position is subject to DBS disclosure. Car driver preferred – this is not essential but there is no public transport into Thakeham and it may be useful to be able to drive to the churches.
Place of work – The Parish Office, based in the Rectory, Thakeham.
Hours – 6- 8 hours per week.
Salary – £8.25 per hour – and 4 weeks paid annual leave (pro rata).
Contract – self-employed or PAYE ( to be discussed). There will be an initial 3 month probation period but the whole contract will be fixed for one year. The aim would be for annual renewal as long as finances allow.
Closing date – 9/8/19
Interview date – 19/8/19 (subject to availability)
Start date – Early Sept depending on references.
Application – Please email a covering letter (including address, phone and email) with your CV and details of 2 referees to:
Mr John Williams: